Saturday, November 28, 2009

How do I apply to companies who don't post job openings?

There are a bunch of smaller companies around me and I am looking for a job. I have checked thier websites and only a few of them have places that you can submit a resume. There are a lot of companies in this one area, so I am sure there are a few openings that they don't have posted. Is it wierd to just send my resume to them and hope they have an opening? Should I call first to see who I should send it to?How do I apply to companies who don't post job openings?
If I were you, I'd dress up and visit. A personal appearance shows that you are REALLY trying to find a job, not just fishing. Blind resumes usually get filed in the circular cabinet 13 (trash can)...





Don't forget to dress appropriately for that company.





Put in the time and you'll be surprised just how much more you will be taken seriously - mainly because very few people still do this sort of thing.How do I apply to companies who don't post job openings?
Take a chance and send your resume. You never know when you may get a call for an interview :)
I would call or stop in to find out who to talk to. Then you can deliver or mail in your resume. Don't be afraid to make friends with some of the other people there. Especially front desk types.
It's tough to say -- where I work our turnover is very, very small. We do post jobs when they are open, but we seldom have an opening. I get resumes all the time -- I hold them for the time we have to, but, to be honest, nearly all end up in the trash.





Some companies may be different. It's worth a try to send your resume. Maybe one will be the right connection for you.
Send you resume and a letter expressing your interest in the company. Talk about where you think you would fit, ie department or type of position you are looking for. Address it to HR. Try to call in advance to get a contact persons name.
85% of jobs (in the US) are never advertised. They are filled by word of mouth. It鈥檚 not what you know it鈥檚 who you know. Join as many organizations as you can. Talk to your friends and relatives and ask them to talk to their relatives and friends. Increase your social network and social skills. This is why men who drink socially make 14% more money than those who dont drink.


Here is a quote from a HR manager ';And we rarely go back and look through filed applications. If someone who walks in today meets the criteria of a job opening, they may get referred for an interview. The ones who came in yesterday probably won鈥檛. The truth is most of our new employees are referred by our own employees.';

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
albinism